Sunday, October 17, 2010

Redskins - Colts Preview!

Interesting about the Redskins' schedule - they've only had one 1:00 game (out of six, counting tonight's 8:20 start).  I'm going to New York tomorrow, and expected to be on a 10:00 am flight, and had high expectations of watching the entire game, which should end around midnight.  However, apparently the ticket I booked departed at 10:00 pm, rather than the am...oops.  One call to our travel agency later, and I'm booked on a 7:00 am flight tomorrow morning, which means a 4:30 wake up, rather than something around 6:30.  So, I'll probably have to bail on what should be a good game. 

This game is interesting on many statistical levels - first, the Colts can't stop the run, but the Redskins can't really run.  The Redskins give up a million yards, but not many points, and the Colts put up a ton of yards, but haven't scored a ton of points yet.  The Redskins can't stop the pass, but according to a few (including Ron Jawarski), Peyton Manning is having a down year so far.  Here's one that I think could make the difference tonight - the Colts are one of the worst in the league in punt and kickoff returns, while the Skins are among the best - especially with Brandon Banks returning punts now.  Side note:  I think Brandon Banks is now Kelly's favorite Redskin, pushing slightly ahead of my favorite Redskin:  Santana Moss.  [Kelly is also a big fan of Anthony Armstrong].

So, what does it all mean?  I have no idea.  The Redskins should be able to run the ball tonight.  However, Manning is a machine in night games, so I expect them to give up a ton of passing yards.  I think the Redskins make more plays on defense, and especially on special teams to give them the win...31-24.

ps...last week when I was posting the Skins-Packers preview, I seriously almost wrote..."missed FG late will cost the Packers the game" but didn't, because I didn't want to sound like one those idiot football writers who do things like that (yes, you Peter King)...and I didn't know the name of the Packer's kicker (information that I'm sure does not exist on the very Internet on which I post this).  Anyway, should have pulled the trigger on that one.  Here's one that I'm positive will happen...by the time this game is decided, I'll be way far night-night (to paraphrase the Harpster).

1 comment:

  1. Where can one go to get gutsy pre-game analysis about a game that so many are shying away from?? Right here. I'm sure this prediction will be just as prophetic as your other prognostications (which I would put at a good 80%!).

    ReplyDelete